How to Work Abroad FAQ

What is living and working abroad all about?

The United States has reciprocal agreements with countries around the world to issue Working Holiday Visas to young adults that allows them to work for up to a year. Hundreds of thousands of young people around the world participate in work abroad programs, and we’re thrilled your child is interested in working in another country. This is a great once in a lifetime opportunity for them to gain real world experience that will benefit their resume and best yet, they get paid while working abroad, gaining an experience in a new culture.

Where can I work abroad?

US citizens can currently work abroad using the Working Holiday Visa in Australia and New Zealand. Schemes are also in place in Ireland, South Korea and Singapore, although StudentUniverse does not currently offer those programs yet.

What are the requirements to live and work abroad?

For all programs you must be:

  • between 18-30 in age
  • a US citizen
  • High School Graduate (must have diploma or equivalent)
  • of good character

Are flights included?

Flights are not included with your work abroad program fee, however your StudentUniverse travel services team member can provide a competitive discounted student flight quote.

For students looking to travel the world, we offer our StudentUniverse members special rates on flights, hotels and tours, allowing students to travel more and spend less. Our unique pricing and terms are negotiated specifically for this demographic through contracts with dozens of world-class partners and more than 70 airlines. Membership is free.

Do I need a college degree?

No, you do not need a college degree to work in Australia or New Zealand.

How long do the work visas last?

For Australia and New Zealand, the student work visa lasts one year.

Do I have to stay the entire year?

Not at all! While the visa is valid for a year, you are under no obligation to stay in the country for the entire term.

Can I interview for my job before I leave the US?

Our Work Abroad Pro package is perfect for people who want to secure a job while they are still in the United States. Currently, we are able to offer this service to people interested in the following fields: hospitality, customer service, labor/construction and gardening/landscaping.

Work Abroad and Work Abroad Plus employers will want to meet with you face-to-face while you are in country. Moving overseas without a firm employment offer may seem frightening, but the reality is that thousands of young people participate in working holiday schemes around the world each year, and companies build in positions to attract this audience.

What if I can't find a job overseas?

Our work abroad job teams around the world will do everything possible to help you find a job. If you are willing to put in the effort to set up interviews and are flexible with the type of work you’re willing to do, you’ll be working in no time.

Where do I live while I am working abroad?

Each program includes either five or seven nights accommodation in a centrally located hostel. Following this, our in-country teams will assist you with securing longer term accommodation.

How do taxes work when I work abroad?

Our job teams will work with you to obtain a tax consultation before you return home. The vast majority of people end up with a sizable tax refund - a nice way to do some traveling on your way back to the States!

Have more questions? Feel free to contact us!