Tuition, books and rent. Yeah, college is not cheap. We know, study abroad might sometimes seem like the straw that could break the camel’s back. College is expensive and going abroad will not make it cheaper. So what will it make it then? When you find yourself wondering why your children should go abroad, here are some viewpoints that might make it easier for you to make an education decision.
5 reasons you should let your son or daughter study abroad:
- It’s good for their resume – Employers like candidates with world experience. Studies show that going abroad not only improves the chances of getting the right job, but it also helps build confidence for the interview process.
- It’s an unforgettable experience – Let’s call a spade a spade here. Yes, there will be the occasional party, but more important than anything else; new cultures, languages, foods and people. Some things cannot be downloaded or learned in a classroom.
- It’s a great way to improve language skills – Want them to go from “I can get by” to “I can do this!”? There’s not a Spanish book in the world that will beat the experience of studying in Spain. Not a class you can take that will improve your Italian more than living and breathing the Italian day-to-day life.
- It’s a springboard to other experiences – This may not be exactly what you had in mind, but it’s a fantastic perk. Take Europe for example – there are so many low-cost airline carriers that you can easily see several destinations on a shoestring budget once you’re there. We see it all the time; students go abroad for a semester and they end up seeing a dozen other destinations during their time there. Train, plane, automobile – it’s affordable and for most students it’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- It’s the advice most students would give other students – But of course it is, and no it doesn’t change the fact that it will cost a pretty penny. But, and this is a very important “but” – when we ask graduating students “what was the best/worst decision during college?” more often than not study abroad comes up. Those who went can’t stop talking about it. Those who didn’t regret their decision.
At StudentUniverse we believe travel is an important part of any education. We continue to fight for your right to travel. Our student discounts can only be found on our website and you can join for free. Good luck and safe travels!