The Ultimate Road Trip. It’s on almost every avid traveler’s bucket list and if you’re an American, it’s probably crossing the USA. But with so many great cities to visit, it’s hard to know how to plan such an epic trip. Below we give our top five cities to visit in the US and why.
1) San Francisco, CA – There are a lot of great cities to visit in California, but probably none as unique as San Fran. Witness true hippy culture at the Haight-Ashbury, visit the abandoned island prison of Alcatraz, or tour the city on the cables cars, America’s only moving monument. And of course, you can’t miss seeing the breathtaking architectural beauty of the Golden Gate Bridge.
2) New Orleans, LA – History and culture all its own await you with a visit to New Orleans. Enjoy delicious Creole food in the French Quarter, and dance the night away to some of the best jazz bands you’ll hear anywhere. Consider visiting New Orleans during Mardi Gras, and truly have an experience like no other.
3) Memphis, TN – There’s plenty to do in this southern town known for its epic music scene. Visit the birthplace of Rock n’ Roll, the blues, and soul music and see how legends such as Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, and B.B. King made their mark on this city. Make sure to plan a visit to the National Civil Rights Museum to see how Memphis was involved in this historic movement. To end the trip, check out the nightlife and see how the true cowboys party!
4) Washington, DC – For the ultimate road trip across the US, you can’t miss the nation’s capital. Washington is chock full of historical sights and there is a wide variety to choose from. Top choices include the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, the Reflecting Pool, the White House, and the Arlington Cemetery. Visit the National Mall which includes some of the most popular and famous museums in the country such as the Air and Space Museum and the Museum of Natural History, to name a couple.
5) New York City, NY – As one of the largest and most famous cities in the entire world, NYC is a can’t miss destination. This city offers an infinite number of things to do, but some top landmarks to see include Ground Zero, the Statue of Liberty and the historic Ellis Island, the Empire State Building, and Times Square. Make sure to experience the wide variety of food and nightlife New York has to offer before you leave!
Time to gas up the car and turn up the radio! With these top five cities, you’re sure to have an amazing time on your ultimate road trip across the United States. Don’t forget your camera!