We talk a lot about travel and how important it is. You might say that we’re enthusiasts. It’s our business and it’s what we love. We believe that traveling can change people and that those changes are almost always positive. It’s a unique way to grow as a person and your time in college is the perfect opportunity to have those experiences. That said, the true magic of travel comes from embracing it fully, from taking each moment for what it’s worth and taking the time to notice the world revealing itself around you. We have compiled some thoughts on what you have to do to get the most out of your travel experiences. So, here’s what you have to do:
- You have to take your time. Move slowly and take in the detail around you. You might miss something amazing that’s not apparent at first glance.
- You have to be open-minded. First impressions are a wasted notion prejudiced by preconceived notions. In other words, take a minute to get past your initial reactions and consider what you’re seeing from another person’s perspective.
- You have to be humble. From the simple things like asking for directions to asking people in new places about their views on the world, a little humility can go a long way.
- You have to be patient. Things do not work the same way in all places around the world. At some point you will be delayed, side-tracked, lost or frustrated. Take a breath and work through it. You will get there.
- You have to be willing to do things you’re afraid to do. You may find that they aren’t as scary as you thought and you may find something new that you love.
- You have to get up early and go to bed late. Get up in the morning and see the sights and stay out late to experience the nightlife. Just don’t do both on the same day.
- You have to care about people – really care about people, in a general way. If you do, it will be a hundred times easier to understand people from other places – and to appreciate them for being different.
- You have to be open to changing and growing. Realizing that the world still has something to teach you can be a humbling approach that will bring you home wiser every time you leave.
- You have to be an addict. Be addicted to travel, to places, to sights, to experiences, to moments that matter – and you will keep finding them.
- You have to be social. The best way to enjoy travel is to do it with others. Bring friends with you, but above all, make new ones along the way. You will be glad you did.
We hope you enjoyed the list and we hope you make your own list. We hope you can fully embrace travel and we hope we can help get you there.