We all know that Greece is going through some tough financial times. But just in case you’ve been living in a cave, here’s a quick recap:
Greece borrowed too much money and can’t pay it back. There’ve been protests and a lot of banks have shut down, frustrating the local residents.
But there’s a bright side to every situation! Greece may be in economic turmoil but that shouldn’t scare you from this picture perfect destination. Actually, tell your parents this is a great time to visit because you can now afford it! And, the better their tourism market does, the faster Greece can recover. So this is a HUGE win-win! Beat that Mom and Dad! 😉
Before you grab your passport, share this list with the parentals and get them on board!
- Locals are welcoming – They want you there! This whole no money in the bank thing really took a toll on local businesses, so expect to be welcomed with open arms. Business owners appreciate your money and are willing to go above and beyond to get your business.
- Exclusive Deals – Besides wanting your business, business owners are also cutting prices drastically! Travelers are now able to afford and book rooms on the most private and beautiful Greek islands. Plus our members can get up to 40% off awesome hotels in their favorite Greek destination.
- It’s more than beaches and parties – Greece offers so much more than the sun-kissed beaches and crazy parties. A brand new network of walking trails on the mainland and islands now offers the opportunity for visitors to trek through ancient land and wildflower fields. Bonus: the usual large crowds of tourists have simmered down a bit compared to last year, which means shorter lines at attractions and more space to lay out on travelgram-worthy beaches.
- The culture is more alive than ever! From the local tavern to vibrant street art and performers take a walk through the old towns and experience the colorful culture. Festivals fill the streets and bring out the best musicians, art and food you can imagine! From Mykonos to Santorini you’ll feel the warmth and rich history this country has.
- Eurotrip Potential. Greece happens to be neighbors with Italy and Turkey, making it the perfect location to add to your Eurotrip itinerary. There are multiple ferries that can take you island-hopping through the Mediterranean, and we’ve got awesome deals on flights to get you from one European paradise to the next.
So of course your parent’s are going to ask “But is it safe?” You’re in luck, because we’ve done the research for you. According to the vice president of Global Security and Intelligence at International SOS, John Rendeiro: “While it’s safe to travel to Greece, travelers should avoid all related protests as a precaution.” The reality of the situation is that the majority of protests are happening in Athens. Meaning the Greek islands are still traveler-safe.
Greece is the traveler’s’ dream come true and thanks to this economic situation, this dream can be a reality. So what are you waiting for? Get the parentals on board and start planning your Greek getaway now.