Africa is truly a continent like no other. If you are looking for unique travel experiences you won’t be able to find anywhere else, consider these top five destinations for your next trip!
1) Kruger National Park – You can’t go to Africa without experiencing a safari! Travel for a full day in an open vehicle and try to spot as many animals as you can – lions, elephants, zebras, giraffes, rhinos, and spotted hyena, to name a few. And large animals aren’t all this low-lying bush land has to offer. Make sure to catch the many snakes, birds, and variety of plant life, too!
2) Namib Desert – Africa is known for its desert terrain and experiencing this unique landscape cannot be missed. If you truly want to feel like you’re in the middle of nowhere, head to Namib Desert and explore the Sesriem Canyon, Sossusvlei Clay Pan, and almost 1000 feet high sand dunes. Explore the canyon further and see sedimentary layers of gravel and sand deposited 10 to 20 million years ago or catch a glimpse of the eight and half foot wingspan of the lappet face vulture.
3) Todra Gorge – Ever spent the night camping between cliffs among palms trees and a flowing river? You can if you visit the hollowed out mountain side of the Todra River. Take a hike along a dirt path following the river and experience the gorgeous scenery – you may even up listening to the beats of an African drum while you’re doing it!
4) Marrakech – Experience the wonders of Morocco through its food! Head to Djemaa el Fna, the heart of Marrakech, where you’ll never get bored of the many food offerings that change throughout the day. In the morning, buy some fresh orange juice from sellers in colorful costumes, or wait until sunset when the square fills with dozens of food stalls. Choices range from slow cooked lamb to famous Moroccan couscous, or for the very adventurous, snails and sheep head. This will truly be a food experience like no other.
5) Johannesburg – For a truly unique experience, head outside of the central city to the local village of Shalati. There are many single parent families and orphaned children in the village due to the wide prevalence of HIV/AIDS. At the Hope Africa Children’s Day School, with just one teacher and two teacher’s helpers, over 80 children between the ages of 1 and 5 are taught to prepare for primary school and provided with two meals a day. Interact with the children and get involved in their daily activities, and you will leave the village with rewarding, unforgettable memories.
Going to Africa can be intimidating, but with so many unique experiences to have, how can you pass it up? If you check out these top five destinations, you are sure to have the adventure of a lifetime!