When some people go on vacation, all they want to do is sit around and relax. If this ISN’T you, then South America just might be the perfect place for your next trip. Check out my top five destinations for adventure travel in South America and get ready to make unforgettable memories!
1) Inca Trail, Peru – This is by far the most famous trek in South America and for good reason. As you hike and camp your way through this 4 day tour, you will discover the beauty of the lush tropical jungle mixed with rugged mountain landscapes. And the final destination will keep you motivated on this 26 mile hike–the untouched remains of the lost Incan city of Machu Picchu!
2) Igassu Falls, Brazil & Argentina – There are two sides to this majestic waterfall – the Brazilian side which offers a sweeping overview and the Argentine side which offers a closer look. See both with an exhilarating boat tour, get a bird’s eye view with a helicopter tour, or use the many hiking trails that surround the area. The combination of the roaring white of the waters, green of the foliage, and dark colors of the basalt rock makes this a site that you will not want to miss.
3) Paraty, Brazil – There’s plenty to do in this Portuguese colonial town. Sitting on a bay filled with over 65 tropical islands and dozens of beaches, water activities are a top choice amongst many tourists. Experience what the colorful sea has to offer with swimming, snorkeling, diving, or a sailing trip. If you’re more of a land lover, the national parks that surround the town provide the opportunity for hiking, horseback riding, or a jeep or van tour. You can’t be bored in Brazil.
4) Uyuni Salt Flats, Bolivia – This breathtaking flat white landscape covers an area of over 7440 square miles interspersed with mountains, geysers, volcanoes, and the area’s surprisingly large variety of wildlife and foliage . Drive across the flats and take tons of pictures, as the endless white against the piercing blue sky creates some great depth illusions. Before you leave, make sure to visit the strikingly colorful lagoons of Laguna Colorada and Laguna Verde.
5) Santiago, Chile – In the foothills of the Andes, Vina La Montana in Maipo offers one of the most exhilarating activities you can find. Descend 2500 feet over the forest of vineyards of one of Chile’s oldest wine regions on this zipline excursion. You probably can’t find a better view or a more unforgettable experience.
While relaxing is for some, excitement is for others. South America has endless opportunities for the adventurer in all of us and you won’t be disappointed.