Collegiate Cleanliness: Keeping Your Dorm Spotless and Sanitary
Living in a dorm setting can be a freeing experience—no more parents pestering you to do your homework, no more cleaning the bathrooms, and no more chores. But perhaps our parents had good reason in pushing us to keep our rooms clean and organized.
If you’re a current college student, you’ve either had or will have a roommate (or roommates) who isn’t the tidiest person in the world. Not only does a messy room look bad, it is also a breeding ground for germs, which spread quickly throughout dorm buildings. Here are a few tips to keep your living environment productive and healthy!
- Set up cleaning charts.
As a student who lives with five other girls in a suite set-up, I know how important it is to have a schedule of cleaning tasks for each person. Setting up tally charts for each duty to be completed helps to display how much cleaning each person is doing. Set these up a few days after you move in and your dorm will maintain a spotless appearance.
- Get the right supplies.
You probably won’t need much to clean your dorm, but making sure that you have supplies on hand will keep you from being stuck in any sticky situations (literally).
- Antibacterial cleansing and glass wipes are a definite must-have. These wipes do a good job of cleaning mirrors, windows, desks, door handles—anything really—and are easy to use.
- Oil-based cleaners are good for cleaning up grease, gum, stickers, and tape.
- If you have a bathroom within your dorm or suite, toilet bowl cleaners with bleach and spray-able bathroom cleaners will keep porcelain clean and counters germ-free.
- Paper towels are a must. They make for quick and easy clean up.
- Depending on what material your dorm floors are made of, combination sweepers and mops work well for laminate or tile floors, and spot remover or powders work well for carpet.
- Talk to your roommates.
If you find that someone isn’t putting in much effort in keeping your room/suite clean, have a mini-meeting with your roommates. Remind them that it takes all of your efforts to keep your dormroom clean, letting them know that it is easy to do and takes very little time and effort if everyone participates. Make it a positive group discussion!
Remember, dorm living can be a great experience and a way to meet new friends. Make your space the best it can be and you’re sure to have a spotless school year!
StudentUniverse. Smart deals for students.
StudentUniverse began in 2000 and is now one of the largest Student Deals website in the U.S. and provides outstanding deals to students all over the world! We want students to be able to travel and explore the world without breaking the bank. We also want to help students find great deals at their favorite stores as well as earn cash back on purchases at stores such as Forever 21, Target, Apple and so many more!
StudentUniverse also supplies students with great information when it comes to studying abroad or simply traveling around the world. Our website offers travel guides that provide students with a wealth of information surrounding topics such as top countries around the world, things to know and do, as well as where to shop and dine!
- 5 Tips on Moving Out of the Dorm at the End of the Year It is the end of the semester and you are busier than...
- How to Make Your Dorm Room More ‘Green’ It’s no secret that becoming more “green” is not just a passing...
- Ways to Spruce Up Your Dorm Room For Spring If you’re anything like me, Spring Fever sets in the instant you’re...
- Spring Cleaning: Clean Up your Dorm Closet! With spring fever in the air, many of us college students are...